Tour Montepulciano and Pienza
The tour takes place in one day
Maximum duration 5 hours
Difficulty easy route
Montepulciano enjoys a suggestive panorama as it is located on a hill that separates the Valdichiana from the Val d’Orcia.
Of Etruscan origins, it boasts important civil and religious buildings that have contributed to enrich its artistic and architectural beauties, “the Pearl of the Renaissance”. An example is the Temple of San Biagio, a masterpiece of Renaissance architecture. In the upper part of the city it is located Piazza Grande, the monumental center of Montepulciano, overlooked by important buildings including; Palazzo Comunale, Palazzo Tarugi, the Cathedral and Palazzo Contucci.
Montepulciano is known for the production of Vino Nobile, obtained from carefully selected grapes. Montepulciano is the city of the “Bravio” of the barrels, which is divided into the historic center, the 8 districts contain the victory by rolling barrels of 80 kg.
Pienza, a UNESCO heritage site since 1996. Enchanting village overlooking the Val d’Orcia. Pienza, the “Ideal City”, transformed by Pope Pius II, Enea Silvio Piccolomini, to embody the humanist principles of the Renaissance. Suggestive alleys and squares open towards rolling hills and breathtaking views.
Shops of typical products will brighten your visit to the Sienese land. Possibility of tasting the famous pecorino di Pienza in a typical restaurant in the historic center.
Highlights of the tour
- Avignonesi Palace and Colonna del Marzocco Via di Gracciano nel Corso
- Palazzo Buccelli, a particular base made up of stone fragments, cinerary urns and inscriptions, a sort of small outdoor exhibition of Etruscan and Roman art in the area.
- Church of Sant’Agostino the lower part of the facade is a certain work of the Florentine Michelozzo.
- Pulcinella Tower on its top the curious statue of Pulcinella
- Palazzo Cervini
- Piazza Grande with Palazzo Comunale, Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo, the Pozzo de ‘Grifi and de’ Leoni, the Palazzo Nobili-Tarugi
- Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta internally significant works of art including the Triptych by Taddeo di Bartolo.
- Temple of San Biagio external visit (possibility to also visit the inside with ticket and reservation)
- Pius II Square
- Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta
- Piccolomini Palace
- Borgia Palace
- Walk through the small and picturesque streets of the Borgo with panoramic views